Recently I discussed the ins and outs of air purifying and one of my dear readers suggested I write an IQAir HealthPro Plus air purifier review. ‘The mother of all air purifiers’ is what she called it, and who am I to argue with that? This thing comes highly recommended for asthmatics of all species or anybody who just likes fresh, clean indoor air. So let’s take a look.
At a Glance
- What: HealthPro Plus Air Purifier
- Who: IQAir – First in Air Quality.
- Price: Variable, depending on where you buy. Best price: Amazon.com
- Amazon Customer Rating: 4.5/5
Who is IQAir?
The IQAir story starts in Germany back in 1963, when brothers Manfred and Klaus Hammes developed a simple filter system to help reduce the black dust build up behind olden days residential coal ovens. Manfred, a lifelong asthmatic, soon noticed that this simple filtration system reduced his flare-ups in winter months and over time many other allergy sufferers were reporting the same kind of relief.
Klaus, a mechanical engineer, continued throughout the 60s and 70s to adapt this filtration system to other heating and cooling systems – radiators, baseboard heaters and forced air heating and cooling systems, to name a few.
Manfred passed away from a heart attack in 1981 and his brother Klaus moved the operation to Switzerland and expanded into the rest of Europe and the USA. He was soon joined by his son, Frank, who brought to the family business a passion for clean air and a focus on fan powered room air cleaners.
Here’s Frank himself giving a ‘don’t try this at home’ demonstration of just how powerful his creation turned out to be:
Back in the late 80s, Frank noticed a large difference between commercial air cleaning systems and consumer air purifiers. Sure, the larger commercial systems were very effective (and expensive) while their smaller consumer counterparts proved to be ineffectual. In 1994 Frank made the decision to develop a new kind of cleaning device, and after four years of intense research and development, the world’s most effective line of portable room cleaners was born.
In 1998, the first IQAir purifier rolled off the production line in Switzerland. Initially only available in Europe, it was not long after that the HealthPro 250 was found to outperform its competitors by Europe’s toughest product testing organisation, in one of the most stringent air purifying tests ever devised.
In 2000, IQAir purifiers finally became available in the USA and were an instant hit with allergy and asthma sufferers.
Why Would You Need an Air Purifier?
Asthma sufferers demand clean air. There’s no other way to look at it. Airborne particles such as pollens, dust, smoke and other nasties are breathed in and this is what causes the asthmatic to hate the air. An air purifier uses a fine, sieve-like filter to remove these microscopic particles from the air before they can enter the sensitive little asthmatic airways.
There are, of course, good bad and ugly when it comes to the best air purifiers for asthmatics. Different technology will give different results – we’ll get into why the IQAir HealthPro series are the best in just a moment, but if you’re after more information on why you need an air purifier, check out this article.
What’s Good About it?
The IQAir HealthPro Plus is the game-changing air purifier for those who demand the cleanest of air. It’s the top choice for people – and cats – who suffer from asthma and allergies. Why? IQAir’s patented HyperHEPA filters are the first filters tested and certified to filter down to 0.003 microns with a guaranteed 99.5% minimum efficiency. That’s huge! And really, really small.
Here are IQAir’s bigwigs explaining what makes their new edition air purifiers the best in the world:
- Thick microparticle prefilter – removes large allergens and extends the life of the other filters.
- HyperHEPA Filter – removes particles 100 times smaller than the typical dust, pollen and pet dander found in most homes.
- V5 Cell Gas & Odor filter – this is what gives the HealthPro Plus its ‘plus’. This filter traps chemical and gas particles that linger in the air.
- Huge maximum room coverage – The HealthPro Plus is good for rooms up to 900 square foot when running on full power. On medium power, it’s good for rooms up to 600 square foot.
- Triple Sealed design – ensures 100% of the air that goes in is released only as sweet, purified air.
- Lower than average noise level – like all HEPA cleaning filters, it’s a bit loud on the highest settings. These are best for quick room cleaning, or when you’re not home. On the lower speeds, it’s an unobtrusive background hum.
- Filter replacement schedule – The HealthPro Plus design allows for the filters to be replaced individually on an offset schedule, spreading out the impact on your wallet in a manageable way. Estimated annual filter replacement cost: around $200, depending on how much you use it.
- Easy to use controls and remote – program daily operation and choose your purification speed. Keep track of filter life and replacement schedules.
- Low cost to run – consumes no more energy than a conventional light bulb!
Some customers have reported a funky chemical type smell coming from the air purifier. This seems to be due to the V5 filter’s charcoal element, which soaks up stuff in the air whether the machine is running or not. The good news is this is solved by replacing the v5 filter and according to customer reviews on Amazon.com, IQAir seems to be pretty good in their customer service department and with sending out replacement filters if this is a problem.
There’s no doubt about it – the IQAir HealthPro Plus is not cheap. At around $750-$800 it’s a purchase that will require some thought, but as I always say, you get what you pay for and quality is worth the price.
Yep, this is the mother of all air purifiers. For asthma sufferers whether they be human or feline, breathing sweet, purified air will far outweigh the high cost of buying the thing. Highly recommended and Sparrow approved.
IQAir HealthPro PlusUsed from $750
Air Purifying Power10.0/10
Ease of Use8.0/10
- HyperHEPA Filter Technology
- Triple sealed design
- Lower than average noise level
- Filter replacement schedule
- Energy efficient
- V5 filter may come with a strange smell
- High initial cost